Newcomers are welcome to join us for worship services on Sundays and Wednesdays and at other functions
As a newcomer to St. John’s Lutheran Church you probably have some questions about what to expect. You might be investigating the claims of Christianity, you may or may not have gone to church in your life and you may have had good or bad experiences with churches in the past.
The music used will depend upon which service you attend. The message connects with everyday life.
No matter what your walk of life, or background, you will be welcomed. We want to make sure that there are no unexpected surprises for you when you come to the St. John’s Lutheran Church.
The following is a list of frequently asked questions that newcomers ask:
- Is there a dress code? Come as you are! There is no dress code. Most worship service attendees dress casually. Blue jeans, cotton pants, or a suit and tie… the choice is yours.
- What about my children? You can decide whether you want your children to attend the worship service, or depending on their age while attending our 4:00pm Service they may want to attend God’s Kids.
- Am I going to be asked for money? Giving is completely optional. We pass around an offering plate midway through the service. You are free to pass the plate by without putting anything in. The operating expenses of the St. John’s Lutheran Church are paid for by the members.
- How will I know when to stand up and when to sit down? Not knowing when to stand up and when to sit down can be a bit unnerving the first time you come to a church service. The worship leaders will let you know when to stand up and when to sit down. Feel free to remain seated if you are unsure.
- Will I need to bring a Bible? You can bring a Bible if you like, but you don’t have to. The Bible verses used by the pastor and readers will be displayed on the screens.
- What kind of music can I expect? During our Traditional service we use hymns led by our beautiful pipe organ. While attending our Contemporary service you will be led by a worship team that is typically made of vocalists, piano, guitar, bass and drums. During our integrated service, you will experience a blend of both types of music.
- Will I be asked to wear a Visitor name tag or will I be singled out as a visitor? We won’t put you on the spot. You’ll be able to keep as low a profile as you like. Your comfort is important to us. We would like to give you the opportunity to “Get to know us”. Have a look around our website, contact our staff via the Contact Us link, by phone (see above in the banner) or ask questions of our friendly members.
If you have questions or concerns that are not answered in this section, please click here